Piano Theory Worksheets

During the last couple of years of piano lessons have received a lot of bad press. Some teachers and parents feel worksheet based classes waste-teaching time, because they teach what a young child already knows; others even believe they are developmentally inappropriate. But although these thoughts may be true, studies conducted over the last several years have proven that worksheet-based piano courses have a number of benefits for young children. In fact, research has shown that young children learn piano much more easily when taught using a worksheet-style technique. These days piano teachers use them everywhere in the classroom, but here are a few reasons why.

Page R1
Front Matter from piano theory worksheets , source:nap.edu

Worksheets-based piano instruction focuses on the development of finger memory through systematic instruction. A good worksheet will provide memorization techniques for each key on the piano keyboard. The best part is that all these skills are developed over a series of half steps. Once a child begins to memorize a particular piece of music, the process becomes a loop that continues until the lesson is complete. This type of training develops memorization through experiential modeling, which is how children learn best.

As young children begin to memorize notes and the different keys on the piano keyboard, they begin to develop the ability to match the sequence of notes and the different keys on the piano with the sounds created by their fingers. As they match these sounds they learn the alphabet and hand positions needed to produce them. Developing this early foundation for music appreciation is critical to their success as listeners and as great pianists. Developing this foundation is the basis for piano theory worksheets, as the notes and letters will continue to appear until the child has completely memorized what comes next.

Page 139
5 Toward a Unified Approach to Dose Response Assessment from piano theory worksheets , source:nap.edu

As they progress through the different levels of piano worksheets, they develop further skills. At the intermediate level, they will find that they have the ability to name all of the different symbols in music theory and to use these symbols to compose their own compositions. This is the point where students start to learn the various concepts that go into writing music and creating musical pieces. When students move onto the advanced levels of piano worksheets, they will be able to create their own original compositions.

Piano theory worksheets will help kids in other ways as well. These worksheets will teach concepts like rhythm, melody, harmony, and structure, all of which are important learning new songs and creating personal compositions. These concepts will also help kids in understanding why certain songs have a slightly different rhythm than others, as well as the basic harmony or pitch levels that are used in a composition.

suzuki cello school volume 6 shar music sharmusic
the swan cello sheet music Ibovnathandedecker from piano theory worksheets , source:ibov.jonathandedecker.com

In addition to learning new songwriting skills, piano theory worksheets help kids improve their ear training. Most of us listen to music using our ears. This is how we get so engrossed in songs that we can’t get around to reading the lyrics. However, if we can learn to recognize the different sounds that music makes while it’s being played, then we’ll be able to turn these sounds into words. Kids who are taught how to listen properly by learning these worksheet exercises will be ready to start listening to music just as soon as they can read music.

A couple of great ways to take advantage of the worksheet exercises found in a Piano Theory Workbook series is to make them into a family project. Make a copy of each worksheet that is included in the series, and then create your own family worksheet to play along with each other. You can use a blank sheet of paper or a pre-made worksheet that comes with a Piano Theory Workbook series. Once you’ve made your family chart, print it out on colored paper to use as a guide for your family. Or print each sheet on a separate colored page for your own family to work on.

the hut on fowls legs baba yaga score for 9 movement of pictures at exhibition suite for piano by modest mussorgsky 1839 1881 57c df78c71b641ca0f
The Meaning of Sforzando sfz from piano theory worksheets , source:thoughtco.com

Every music theory lesson has ear training, written activities, and an audio game to help students apply concepts to a real-life situation. It’s up to parents to let their children know what they’re learning. Letting your young students develop the skills they need early on will result in their having more confidence when they get older. A pre-workbook series accompanied with a written activity or two will help young students understand the material easier. A Piano Theory Workbook series accompanied with a real-life example is a great way for young students to get practice in applying concepts found in the worksheet exercises. Exercises like learning which notes come next, and various written and spoken activities can serve as a great practice in developing an appreciation for music theory that will benefit them in all aspects of their future learning.

C Major Scale and Chords Let s Play Music
C Major Scale and Chords Let s Play Music Piano Lessons from piano theory worksheets , source:pinterest.de

Christmas Music Worksheets
473 best Music Classes images on Pinterest from piano theory worksheets , source:pinterest.com

Getty 5ba8925bc9e77c0082aadce3
What Are Pentatonic Scales in Music Theory from piano theory worksheets , source:thoughtco.com

56a68e205f9b58b7d0e388df
Easy Sheet Music for Beginners Practicing Piano from piano theory worksheets , source:thoughtco.com

Page 58
2 Safety Culture from piano theory worksheets , source:nap.edu

Time Signatures Discoveries Piano Studio Music Theory Rhythm Note Values Drumming Body Percussion Pinterest
Time Signatures Discoveries Piano Studio from piano theory worksheets , source:pinterest.com